Welcome to Its my life....


Thursday, July 30, 2009

Marfa Lights

In a sparsely populated area known as Mitchell Flat, located just outside Marfa, Texas, a genuine mystery has baffled geologists and other scientists alike for over a century. At the base of the Chinati Mountains, spook lights are often seen by passersby and by interested onlookers who travel to Marfa to witness the phenomena. They often appear to look like lanterns in the distance, sometimes up to 30 miles away. Many, who have tried, were not able to get closer to the mysterious lights. They always seem to move farther away, the closer a person gets.

There are not many conflicting stories of what the lights are or how they came to be. Some say they are ghosts, others believe them to be some sort of weird atmospheric or geological phenomenon. However, there is a story of two geologists witnessed some strange events while prospecting for uranium on March 19, 1973. The pair was sitting in their car when suddenly, some horses in a nearby field started acting erratically and bolted away. Seconds later, a ball of light rapidly shot from the southwest, with another ball of light chasing behind it. Both lights were about the size of a persons head and they chased one another through some bushes and then, they sat still and hovered for a few seconds before darting off and vanishing from sight.

The first recorded case of sighting these strange lights took place in the year of 1883, reported by Mr. Plumbley. Mr. Plumbley's daughter, Julia, still lives in the area today and takes offense to people who offer explanations of the lights. The locals of Marfa, Texas are very proud of their lights and they do not take kindly to those who disbelieve.

Resource: Book - Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century by Janet & Colin Bord

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. i have searched in google images for dis lights, after reading your posts..

.. and now eager to know what is the truth, secret of dat lights :)

vicious said...

dats interesting ...might be aliens :)

Maya said...

i m a skeptic so i wont belive anyway.. people are always eager to make things up, they all want some miracle to happen.. i read some of theories about it in wiki. and i m of the opinion that they are just automobile headlights..

Chhaya said...

memories are very easy to mess with..

but fascinating read.. i do like reading about the 'mysteries'

Its my life said...

@crazy: I will be the first person to know the truth. Please solve the mystery please for me..

Its my life said...

@vicious: yeah there might be possiblity of Aliens..

Its my life said...

@uncommon sense: you might be right or not. But this is a mystery unsolved..

Its my life said...

@chhaya: nice to know that you like mysteries.. me too like mysteries.. :)

D.Dasgupta said...

@ It's My Life

Strange phenomenon no doubt. I have heard of such mysterious occurrences, sighting ufo's for example, and wish I could witness them personally.

So far in my life, I have never been exposed anything remotely extraordinary.

All the best.

DD

Madhavi said...

Hi friend that was cool mystery and I did love this write up of yours.

Zero said...

Thank you for the interesting information. Best regards.

Mabel said...

Hi there. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and sure I will gladly visit your site regularly because you have interesting content. have nice day :-)

IdleMind said...

Seems like a wonderful world of mysteries ... yet undiscovered. Science needs to evaluate, before mystery seekers take a lot of mileage away from it ... hahaha!

Its my life said...

@all: thanks for your valuable comments..

Unknown said...

hi--Chakri

Marfa Lights said...

I don't believe that marfa lights can be seen but in my next vacation surely visit this place. Texas is a good place. Don't miss the sun-soaked sands of the Bombay beach.



Its my life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator